Introduction to Lumpy Skin Disease
An introductory module for the Asia-Pacific Region
Lumpy skin disease (LSD) is a newly emerged transboundary animal disease that has spread within just a few years throughout the Middle East, Turkey, the Balkans, the Caucasus and Eastern Europe. Most recently, countries in South, East and South-East Asia have been affected, with LSD having been detected in Viet Nam and Myanmar in October and November 2020.
Introduction of LSD virus into naïve population causes considerable economic losses due to death of cattle, decrease of their productivity, the cost of vaccination campaigns, and effects on trade.
In response to this regional threat, a short introductory online training module has been made available free of charge to anyone who would like to find out more about LSD.
These activities are organized by EuFMD and the FAO Virtual Learning Centre for Asia and the Pacific, working with the World Organisation for Animal Health ( OIE), Regional Representation for Asia and the Pacific. The LSD Preparedness Course was developed under a partnership between EuFMD, the FAO Regional Office for Europe and the Friedrich-Loeffler Institut. Find out more about these opportunities below.
A cow affected by LSD. © E. Tuppurainen / FLI
Study the introductory module
A short introductory virtual learning module on LSD is now available. This module may be studied free-of-charge by anyone who is interested to find out more about LSD.
To get started, please click the link below. If you are not yet registered with the EuFMD Virtual Learning Platform, please follow the instructions to create an account, after which you will be able to access the module.Start studying
Find out more
Please click the links below to find out more about LSD.
LSD in Asia and the Pacific:
- OIE Representation for Asia and the Pacific webinar series.
- Introduction and spread of lumpy skin disease in South, East and Southeast Asia: qualitative risk assessment and management (FAO, 2020).
Lumpy Skin Disease Virus Infection: An Emerging Threat to Cattle Health in Bangladesh (Kayesh et al., 2020).
First outbreak of lumpy skin disease in Nepal (Acharya and Subedi, 2020)
- Bluetongue and Lumpy skin disease – awareness and prevention.
- Editable leaflets and posters against priority transboundary animal diseases.
- EMPRES-Animal health 360: Special edition on Lumpy Skin Disease (47/2017).
- FAO Lumpy Skin Disease: A field manual for veterinarians.
- GF-TADS. Standing Group of Experts on Lumpy Skin Disease in South-East Europe.
- Lumpy Skin Disease Contingency Plan Template & Emergency Vaccination Plan.
- Sustainable prevention, control and elimination of Lumpy Skin Disease – Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
European Union legislation:
- Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2016/2008 on animal health control measures relating to LSD in certain Member States (consolidated version).
- MSD Lumpy skin disease.